Jason is a Larrakia, Wardaman and Karajarri artist from Darwin, also known as Choplee he has been a practicing artists since 1983. Jason is a multidisciplinary artists who is a natural self-taught talent who starting out as a painter focussing on traditional Aboriginal designs.
About the Artwork
The Gulumoerrgin (Larrakia) seasonal calendar is divided into seven main seasons:
• Balnba (rainy season) - November to December - long bums, black plum and bush potatoes.
• Dalay (monsoon season) - January to March - crocodile laying eggs and big red apple fruiting.
• Mayilema - March to April - dragonflies and bush cherry.
• Damibila (Barramundi and bush fruit time) - April to June - black cockatoo and bush peanut.
• Dinidjanggama (heavy dew time) - June to August - dugong and water Lillie’s.
• Gurrulwa (big wind time) - July to September - stingray and yellow kapok.
• Dalirrgang (build-up) - September to October - flying fox, cocky apple and cycad nuts.